About E. Elise Herman, MD
Dr. Elise Herman loves people and their stories. She sees it as a privilege to hear the stories people share with her every day. She has always enjoyed helping people and ultimately went into medicine for this reason. As a psychiatrist Dr. Herman looks holistically at how biological, psychological and social aspects interact in a patient’s life. She is passionate about using her medical and psychotherapy training to solve complex problems to help people become the best version of themselves. With a philosophy of patient empowerment, she often shares the adage that “action begets motivation,” seeing it as her role to provide tools and medicines that can get individuals moving towards their goals. Described as dedicated and creative, Dr. Herman approaches her work with flexibility, empathy and compassion, actively seeking out new opportunities to learn. In her work, she finds inspiration from Henry Wadsworth Longfellow’s wisdom that, “Lives of great [people] all remind us, we can make our lives sublime, and, departing, leave behind us, footprints on the sands of time.”
Originally from Minneapolis, Dr. Herman completed medical school at Loma Linda University and then her first three years of psychiatry residency at Cedars-Sinai in Los Angeles and her last year at Duke University Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences. While in her residency, she was nominated for the prestigious George Ginsberg Fellowship Award for demonstrating outstanding competence and dedication. Dr. Herman has a Master’s in Public Health degree in Global Health, was promoted as a Fellow of the American Psychiatric Association and is Board Certified in General Psychiatry and Addiction Medicine. At MindPath Care Centers, she is the Regional Medical Director of Western North Carolina.
Partial List of Treatment Areas
- Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS)
- Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD)
- Adjustment Concerns
- Alcohol Use
- Anxiety / Stress
- Bariatric Surgery Evaluation
- Bipolar I & II
- Depression with Psychosis
- Depression with Suicidality
- Drug Use
- Compulsive Gambling
- Gender Confirmation Surgery Evaluation
- Generalized Anxiety Disorder
- Impulse Control (non-alcohol / drug)
- LGBTQ+ Care
- Personality Disorder
- Post-Partum / Pregnancy Depression
- Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy
- Psychological Aspects of Mental Illness
- Psychosis w/ Long-Acting Injectable
- Recent Hospitalization
- Schizophrenia / Schizoaffective
- Severe Bipolar with Psychosis
- Sex / Pornography Addiction
- Suboxone Treatment
- Treatment Resistant Depression
- Women's Health - Hormonal Imbalance
Education & Certifications
– Doctor of Medicine from Loma Linda University in Loma Linda, CA
– Master of Public Health in Global Health from Loma Linda University in Loma Linda, CA
– Bachelor of Science degree in Biology-Chemistry from Point Loma Nazarene University in San Diego, CA Certified by the American Board of Addiction Medicine and the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
– Member of the American Psychiatric Association, the North Carolina Psychiatric Association, the American Society of Addiction Medicine and the American Association for Physician Leadership
April 8, 2021
She is very kind and such a terrific listener.
April 6, 2021
Dr. Herman is a great listener, and I really feel heard. Everything I say, she makes sure she understands (ask question or clarification) and I think really tries to dig into what I mean and give a response to it. She often pulls in information that relates to what I'm saying or gives resources for me to do more reading on my own. Overall, I've been very happy with Dr. Herman's help.
April 6, 2021
Dr. Herman is amazing. She listens and is receptive to my needs and has great suggestions. I can t recommend her enough. I am so much happier than I have been in the past 3 years.
January 14, 2021
I like the doctor very much, she is extremely compassionate and thoughtful.
December 25, 2020
She s attentive
December 22, 2020
Dr Herman has been great
October 31, 2020
Dr. Herman is very good
October 29, 2020
Dr Herman is awesome. VERY attentive.
August 18, 2020
Great experience, I would recommend!
August 11, 2020
It was a pleasure meeting the Dr. She was very friendly and knowledgeable.
August 10, 2020
My appointment went very well and I really like Dr. Elise Herman.