About Dana Bennison, MA, LCMHC
Dana is a multidimensional counselor who employs a strengths-based, goal-oriented, and integrative approach to help her clients enhance their psychological, emotional, and spiritual health and well-being. She utilizes warmth, enthusiasm and assertiveness to help build a strong therapeutic alliance with her clients, develop a common language between herself and them, and create a safe and engaging space in which treatment goals can be achieved. Her clinical interests include anxiety, mood, and stress management, adjustment to life transitions, trauma recovery, relational rift and reparation, emerging adulthood and group and organizational dynamics. She possesses a special passion for helping individuals navigate issues related to identity formation and authenticity, and is likewise committed to the healing and growth of women, helping highly sensitive persons hone and celebrate their strengths, and working with artists to thrive in the face of the unique challenges with which their creative lives present them. She has engaged in intensive postgraduate training in Trauma-Informed Practice, Affirmative Practice with the LGBTQ Community, Creative and Expressive Therapies, Multicultural and Multisystemic Practice, Mindfulness-Based Interventions, EMDR and Energy Psychology, Reading, and Healing. As a wholehearted believer in the therapeutic power of both nature and exercise, she also offers her clients, when appropriate, the opportunity to engage in counseling sessions outdoors and on foot.
Prior to joining MindPath Care Centers in 2016, Dana worked as a youth and family crisis and outpatient therapist with Community Counseling Centers of Chicago, as a postgraduate trainee with Live Oak, and as a psychotherapist with Symmetry Counseling in Chicago, IL and as an early childhood test consultant with the Center for Talent Development at Northwestern University in Evanston, IL.
Partial List of Specialties
- Major Life Change: grief, divorce, etc
- Alcohol Use
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
- Couples/Marital Therapy
- PTSD - Childhood Trauma
- Eye Movement Desensitivation and Reprocessing (EMDR)
- Family / Parenting Therapy
- PTSD - Victim of Abuse
- Parent/Child Concerns
- LGBTQ+ Care
- Psychodynamic Psychotherapy
- PTSD - Single Incident/Shock
- LGBTQ+ CareSignifies post graduate education in gender and sexual diversity and recognizes specialization in LGBTQ+ care.
Education & Certifications
– Master of Arts in Counseling Psychology from Northwestern University in Evanston, IL
– Bachelor of Arts in Literature and Cultural Theory from Duke University in Durham, NC
– Earned a TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) from American University in Washington, D.C.
– Licensed Clinical Mental Health Counselor in the state of North Carolina.