About Cheryl Bennett, PhD
Dr. Bennett believes that every person has the power to make positive and healthy changes in their lives. With over 25 years’ experience, she meets clients where they are, encouraging their personal growth and inner strength. She loves seeing self-actualization develop and is thrilled to be a part of that process with clients, viewing this work as her reason for being on the planet. Adhering to Ghandi’s advice to “be the change you want to see in the world,” Dr. Bennett wants the best for each person, whether that is increased satisfaction, relief from symptoms, cultivating safe and healthy relationships or pursuing their dreams. In addition to helping patients with their mental health conditions, she has experience working with women's issues and with cultural and contextual issues that affect mental health and well-being. Primarily using Cognitive-Behavioral therapy, Dr. Bennett assists individuals in modifying unhealthy or maladaptive thought and behavior patterns in order to actualize their greatest potential. She uses interpersonal, strength-based and solution-focused therapy as well as skill-building therapy as needed, depending on the needs of the client. Her passion is to increase patients' self-awareness, recognizing that an aware patient is more often able to thrive in their family, community and workplace. In addition, Dr. Bennett provides psychological testing, including intelligence testing and personality testing for diagnostic clarification. The assessments may be used by individuals, families or employers to understand key psychological issues with the purpose of assisting the tested individuals in achieving increased mental health and personal fulfilment.
Partial List of Specialties
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
- PTSD - Single Incident/Shock
- LGBTQ+ CareSignifies post graduate education in gender and sexual diversity and recognizes specialization in LGBTQ+ care.
Education & Certifications
– Doctor of Clinical Psychology from Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond, VA
– Master of Clinical Psychology from East Carolina University in Greenville, NC
– Bachelor of Science in Psychology from the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill, NC
– Licensed Psychologist in North Carolina