2021 Poetry Contest
Introducing the inaugural MindPath Poetry Contest. Submit your poem on the theme of the struggles and successes with mental health.
At MindPath Care Centers, we believe that Healthcare Begins with Mindcare™, and in an effort to continue our’s and others’ efforts to end the stigma around mental health, we decided to open submissions for our first ever poetry contest!
This year’s contest will be centered around the theme of the successes and struggles with mental health. We ask that each person submit only one poem of up to 100 lines of text.
Our team will work together through two rounds of review, in which we will first choose a number of final submissions to be evaluated by our final round judge. The judge will be one of our very own providers, who will choose the six winning submissions.
Each winner will be rewarded with publication in our 2021 MindPath Poetry digital chapbook and a $100 Visa gift card. The chapbooks will also be printed and made available to read at our outpatient locations across the Carolinas.
If you have any questions, please reach out to [email protected] or direct message one of our social media accounts! You may find the rules for the competition below.
The winners are in!
The six winning poems and poets, each awarded $100, are:
- The newest museum exhibition – Lianza Reyes
- The Only Way is Through – Alexandra Campbell
- Shadows Between Building – Wilson R.M. Taylor
- Four of the nicest things people have done for me – Owen Auman
- The away goal – Elisa Moraa
- The Design of a Fearful Mind – Isabella Dawley
To read their poems and learn more:
- Each person may submit one poem that is no longer than 100 lines and all forms of poetry are welcome
- There is no official font/font size, but please use a font that is easy to read.
- The poetry must be written according to the theme of Mental Health
- Only submissions through the submission form will be counted
- No entry fee to submit
- No age limit to submit
- The deadline to submit a poem is May 15
- Please submit only unpublished works
- The poetry may not include any profanity or suggestive/violent language
- Please leave all identifying information off the actual document. You will have space to include your name and a short cover letter in the submission form.
- You may also remain anonymous if you choose.
- Each winner will receive a $100 Via gift card
- You will retain the rights to your written work upon submission. MindPath Care Centers will only obtain the materials to promote the work and the mission to destigmatize mental healthcare.
Final Round Judge
Dr. Jonnalagadda is a board-certified child, adolescent, and adult psychiatrist. Dr. Jonnalagadda is a Fellow of the American Psychiatric Association and a Distinguished Fellow of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry. She is an adjunct teaching faculty with the Department of Pediatrics, ECU Brody School of Medicine; and a clinical psychiatrist/Associate Chief of Staff with the Veterans Administration. She also has a Systems of Care training background with abuse evaluations, Autistic Spectrum Disorders, juvenile justice, social services, deaf/hard of hearing psychiatric care, child development services and early intervention, outpatient and residential substance use treatment, and practice improvement and evidence-based care.